Biology Honorary – Beta Beta Beta
Beta Beta Beta is an honor society for biology students. The purpose of this society is to stimulate sound scholarship, promote the dissemination of scientific truth and encourage investigation in the life sciences. Beta Beta Beta is affiliated with the American Institute of Biological Sciences.
Throughout the year the group organizes activities including a plant sale, haunted bio lab, and trips to museums.
Heidelberg students have the opportunity to present their research at the annual Student Reseach Conference. Some topics from the past several years include:
- Ben Laubender – “Seasonal Fish Kills among Intersex Males”
- Britt Grimmett – “Comparing Mouse Flora During Life and After Death”
- Katherine Daniel – “Antibiotic Resistance of E Coli in Raw Milk”
- Billy Banks - "Testing Dogs' and Cats' Paws for Pathogenic Bacteria"
- Josh Bierbaugh - "The Effects of Light on Zooplankton Migration"
- Craig Conrad - "Macroinvertebrate Colonization of Hester-Dendy Samplers in Streams Varying in Velocity and Shade"
- Matt Lamoreaux - "Rotifer Migration and Distribution in Natural and Laboratory Conditions"
- Josh Bierbaugh and Matt Lamoreaux - "The Effects of Submerged Green Light on Zooplankton Migration"
- Christopher Boehler - "Larval Fish Drift in Honey Creek"
- Nikki Lagendyk - "Normal Eye Flora: Effects of Gender and Contacts"
Awards and Honors
Beta Beta Beta Outstanding Freshman Award
The biology honorary society, recognizes the outstanding freshman in biology each year.
- 2013: Emily Glor and Bradley Palocko
- 2012: Tessa Benanzer and Destiny Miller
- 2011: Drew Figley
- 2010: Allison R. Willis
Dr. A.G. McQuate Award in Field Biology
Awarded to an upper-level student who has demonstrated an ability, interest and promise in the areas of conservation and field studies.
- 2013: Susan Daniel and Jeffrey Gordon
- 2012: Candice Brothers
- 2011: Scott Langekamp
- 2010: Ben Laubender
Allan King Zartman Prize in Biology
Awarded to a sophomore or junior in Biology who has excelled in the quality of her or his work.
- 2013: Tessa Benanzer
- 2012: Allison Willis
- 2011: Joanna Brewer
- 2010: Drew Figley
Ira and Robert Wilson Memorial Scholarship
Given each year to a senior majoring in biology, who has been accepted for graduate study in a biological science, medicine, or dentistry and who shows promise of outstanding achievement.
- 2013: Matthew Condon
- 2012: Joanna Brewer
- 2011: Drew Figley