According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, new and changing laws will increase the demand for accountants, and employment in this field is projected to grow faster than average for all occupations through the year 2018. As the field changes and grows, so do accountants’ responsibilities. Today’s accountants do much more than bookkeeping, tax preparation and auditing – they work in all parts of the business world.
- Chief financial officers develop and manage companies’ financial plans.
- Financial advisors can work for professional athletes and entertainers.
- Internal Auditors ensure the company they work for is operating within company and government regulations.
- Forensic accountants track down criminals and identify fraudulent activities.
- Financial accountants prepare statements and advise businesses on decisions such as mergers and acquisitions.
- Management accountants help companies control costs and become more profitable in the world’s global economy.
- Accountants (public, government, or managerial) ensure that firms run efficiently and profitably by planning, implementing and overseeing financial policies and procedures.
Accounting at Heidelberg
The Heidelberg Accounting Major meets all of the recommendations of the Ohio Society of Certified Public Accountants.
The program focuses on the fundamentals of accounting through a foundation in accounting principles, information systems and management skills. Accounting majors may complete internships in area CPA firms, local government or other companies and organizations.
In recent years, majors have interned with:
Ernst and Young
Liberty Tax Service
Marathon Oil Corporation
Ohio State Auditor
Students interested in continuing on with a Master's program have a great scholarship opportunity.