Heidelberg University requires that international applicants and applicants whose first language is not English have sufficient knowledge of the English language to benefit from their academic studies. All international applicants who do not come from English-speaking countries (listed below) must provide objective evidence of English proficiency in order to enroll in academic courses. Applicants who furnish test scores must submit scores recent to within one year of the date of application to the University.
To enroll in academic courses a minimum score of one of the following is required:
- TOEFL: 79 (iBT), 550 (TOEFL paper-based), Institutional Code: 1292
- IELTS: 6.5
- ELS*: 112
* We accept completion of Level 112 of the ELS intensive English for Academic Purposes program as proof of English proficiency for undergraduate and graduate admission. Students already meeting academic requirements may apply for Conditional Admission to specific programs of study at Heidelberg University and achieve English proficiency with ELS Language Centers. To learn more about this program, locations, start dates and to apply, visit www.els.edu or www.els.eu.
What if my scores are not high enough?
If your scores do not meet the requirements above, you can still be admitted, but you may have to take ESL courses through the Heidelberg English Language Institute (HELI) prior to starting classes in a degree program.
- Students exempt from English proficiency proof must be from the following countries:
|Anguilla||British Virgin Islands||Gibraltar||Jamaica||St. Lucia|
|Antigua & Barbuda||Canada (except Quebec)||Grenada||Jersey||St. Vincent & the Grenadines|
|Australia||Cayman Islands||Guernsey||Liberia||Trinidad & Tobago|
|Bahamas||Dominica||Guyana||Montserrat||Turks & Caicos Islands|
|Barbados||Falkland Islands||Ireland||New Zealand||United Kingdom|
|Belize||Ghana||Isle of Man||St. Kitts & Nevis||United States Territories|
- Any other exceptions to the rules for the language requirements may occur in specific and circumstantial cases that prove the international student’s English proficiency in other ways.
- Any request to be exempt from the language requirements must be submitted in writing to the Admissions Office with supporting documentation. Heidelberg University reserves the right to approve the adequacy of the exemption request.