Criteria For Selection
- The nominee, if an athlete, must have been out of Heidelberg at least five (5) years.
- The nominee must have demonstrated good citizenship both in school and after leaving the college.
- The nominee does not necessarily have to be a graduate of Heidelberg University.
- The athlete must have earned two letters in one sport or one letter in two or more sports.
- The nominee in cases of coaches, athletic administrators or others need not necessarily have been a former student, but must have served the University for at least five (5) years and made contributions significant to the field of athletics. Coaches or athletic administrators must have retired or left the University prior to being selected.
- The Athletic Director of Heidelberg University.
- The officers of the Alumni Varsity “H” Association.
- Four to eight Alumni Varsity “H” members. Graduating classes of representatives selected should be diverse in an attempt to represent each era.
- All alumni appointments to be a four- or five-year period with the periods staggered. Alumni cannot serve consecutive terms.
- A minimum of three (3) and a maximum of eight (8) will be selected each year after the chartered class (1985).
- All nominations must be made on an official ballot. No other nominations will be accepted. Nomination forms will be sent out to all Varsity “H” members every two years. The closing dates for all nominations shall be May 1 of the year of induction.
- The Hall of Fame is a project of the Varsity “H” Alumni Association.
- The project started in May of 1985 and was partially funded by donations sent to the Heidelberg Athletic Department in memory of Robert “Bobby” Johnson, Heidelberg Class of 1934.
Announcement of Selections
The recognition of those selected for the athletic Hall of Fame shall be made at the annual Homecoming football game. Where possible, they will be honored in their home community (in some form). A plaque will be placed in an appropriate location with the selectees name and sketch engraved. A duplicate plaque will be presented to the individual recipient.