The Pfleiderer Center for Religion and the Humanities
The familiar gray stone building with the red tile roof was constructed in 1912 with a grant of $25,000 from Andrew Carnegie. The College matched the amount for maintenance of the building, which served as the College’s library for 55 years, the third of four locations to be so designated. The Pfleiderer Center was made possible in the 1971-72 academic year by a gift of Dorothy Painter Pfleiderer, class of 1922, as a lasting memorial to her husband, Arthur, a 1920 graduate. Pfleiderer Center was adapted to house offices, classrooms and Herbster Chapel, a multi-purpose room with a seating capacity of 180.
Jane Frost Kalnow
Jane Frost Kalnow, lover of the humanities, trustee of Heidelberg College from 1963 until her death in 1986, and philanthropist known for her generosity to Heidelberg and the Tiffin community, is memorialized on a plaque in the main lobby of Pfleiderer Hall. A generous donation by Mrs. Kalnow’s family made possible the renovation of the interior of the building, including the main lobby and Herbster Chapel, in 2000. It was rededicated in her name on February 9, 2001.