A Heidelberg student ID card or an orange library patron card is necessary for materials to be checked out. Adult area residents may use the library by purchasing a Community Card; adults $5.00, students $2.00. Children under 12 years old must be accompanied by an adult.
Loan Periods & Fines
|Type of Material||Loan Period||Renewals||Fines|
|Periodicals||Library use only||N/A||N/A|
|Government documents||21 days||6||$.50/day|
|CDs & records||21 days||6||$.50/day|
|DVDs & videos||7 days||none||$.50/day|
|OhioLINK books||21 days||6||$.50/day|
|OhioLINK media*||7 days||none||$.50/day|
|*videos, DVDs, CDs, CD-ROMs|
|Reserve items||set by professor||none||$.50/hour|
|Laptops||2 hours inside library||4||$.50/hour|
|Other equipment*||Library use only||none||$.50/hour|
|* computer headphones, USB drive extension cables, calculators|
- Undergraduate students may borrow a total of 50 items at a time. Graduate students, faculty, and staff may borrow up to 200 items.
- Community patrons may borrow up to 5 items at a time. All materials are subject to a 24-hour recall if needed by someone in the Heidelberg community.
- Community patrons may use the library computers to do research using the library catalog, databases, and government resources.
- Items may be renewed online, by calling the library (419-448-2104) or by bringing the item in. To renew online, click on My Account on the library’s home page and follow the directions.
- Renewals can only be made within 7 days of the item being due. Renewals made after the item is overdue will have the amount of the fine added to the patron record.
- Renewals will be denied if a hold has been placed on an item.
Fines and Overdues
- A fine of $10.00 or more on a patron’s record will block their account and prevent them from borrowing items or requesting items from OhioLINK.
- There is a 7 day grace period for items that circulate 21 days. Fines for items returned after that period will start from the original due date.
- Materials not returned within 30 days after the due date are considered lost and the patron will be charged a replacement fee of up to $125.00. The fine is reduced when the item is returned.
- All fines may be paid in the library. Student fines not paid by the end of the semester are sent to the Business Office and must be paid there.
The library’s magazine, journal, and newspaper holdings are listed alphabetically in the print Periodical List or may be found by searching individual titles in the Beeghly Library Catalog. Most recent issues are located in the racks on the first floor. Back issues are kept alphabetically by title on the 2nd floor.
The Electronic Journal Finder may be used to find periodicals that include on-line full-text articles.
Heidelberg students, faculty, and staff may request otherwise unavailable articles through Interlibrary Loan. This is handled by the reference librarian.
Course Reserve Materials
Course reserve materials include books, articles, videos, and music. These materials have short loan periods designated by professors and include:
- Library use only – items circulate for 2 hours within the library and cannot be checked out.
- Overnight – items circulate for 2 hours within the library during the day. They may be checked out 1 hour before closing and must be returned 1 hour after opening the next day.
- 1 day
- 3 days
- 7 days
To access Course Reserves:
- Go to Course Reserves.
- Choose either the name of the professor or the course name and number.
- If more than one course is listed for a professor click on the appropriate course.
Course reserves are kept at the Circulation Desk. All items must be checked out even if they are only used inside the library.
To put items on Reserve:
Professors may place items from the library collection or items that they own on reserve. 2-3 days should be allowed for processing. Submit a request online.
All materials place on reserve must comply with the educational fair use provisions of the U.S. Copyright Law.