Heidelberg University is the proud recipient of a preservation award from the Tiffin Historic Trust, which recognized the renovation of the Bryenton Center for the Honors Program during its annual dinner May 23 in The University Commons.
President Rob Huntington accepted the Nevin E.B. Martin Award for preservation on behalf of the university, which restored the Honors Center last year. One of the final pieces of the project, a widow’s walk, was installed on the roof earlier this spring. During the restoration, French doors were installed on the north side of the structure. The doors will open onto a new patio, scheduled to be completed this summer.
“We are doing the best we can to preserve (our historic architecture) but also to move forward,” Huntington said. “We want to make Heidelberg a better place but not leave the place that Heidelberg was.”
He credited the Bryenton family and Trustee and alumnus Gary Bryenton for their financial support of the restoration, which included a new recovered slate roof, repair and stabilization of the exterior, exterior and interior painting and renovation of interior space to create an open space for social gatherings.
Huntington also noted that two years ago, Heidelberg received a similar award from the Trust for the renovation of the former Laird Hall into Adams Hall and the Heidelberg School of Business.
Prior to the dinner and awards presentation, Trust members had the opportunity to tour the Honors Center.
The history of the Honors Center is well known. Built in 1868, it was home to all Heidelberg presidents until 1969; 10 years later, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. In 1996, it was renovated to accommodate the Honors Program and dedicated in 2007.