Undergraduate Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Undergraduate SAP Policy for Financial Aid Eligibility
Revised 1-2012 to meet new federal requirements

Federal regulations require that schools monitor the academic progress of each applicant for federal financial assistance and that the school verifies the student is making satisfactory academic progress toward earning a degree. This evaluation of academic progress is done annually at the completion of the spring semester by the Financial Aid Office.

All sources of financial assistance administered by the Financial Aid Office are governed by this policy.

New Federal policy, as of July 1, 2011, requires that we set a qualitative standard (grade point average) as well as a quantitative standard (credit hours) which specifies the pace at which the student must progress to graduate within the maximum timeframe established by Heidelberg.

Maximum hours/years to earn a degree: To quantify academic progress, a school must set a maximum time frame in which a student is expected to complete a program. For an undergraduate program, the maximum time frame cannot exceed 150% of the published length of the program measured in credit hours attempted and, also, years.

• Undergraduate programs require 120 hours for graduation. The maximum time frame for students is 180 attempted hours (120 x 1.5=180). Students whose program may require more than 120 hours for a degree will have a higher limit.

• Heidelberg undergraduate programs normally are completed by the end of 4 years of full time enrollment. Therefore, the maximum time frame in years for a full-time student to complete their degree requirements is 6 years (4 x 1.5=6).

Credit hour/quantitative requirement: Students must demonstrate measurable progress towards earning a degree by successfully completing at least 67% of all courses attempted.

• An attempted credit includes graded courses (A, B, C, D, F, FN, P, U, S) and non-graded courses (I, W, WF). Attempted hours also include any transfer hours accepted toward the student’s degree by Heidelberg. Grades of W, WF, F, FN, U, and I are not considered successful completion and are not, therefore, counted in earned credits. Repeated courses are included in attempted credits and courses with passing grades are treated as earned. Audits are not included in attempted or earned credits.

• To calculate the percentage of credits you have earned; total all attempted credits and all earned credits. Then divide the number of earned credits by the number of attempted.

Total Earned Credits/Total Attempted Credits=Percentage completed

For example: 18/24=75%, 24/30=80%, 20/30=66.7%

• Withdrawals: Grades of W are counted as coursed attempted.

• Incompletes: An I is not counted in hours passed until a grade is assigned.

• Audits: No credit is earned for audited courses. They are not included in attempted hours.

• Transfer credits: All transfer hours accepted by Heidelberg are counted in the maximum timeframe measurement and therefore are included in attempted and earned hours. A grade of C- or higher is required.

Grade point average requirement/qualitative requirement: At the end of their second year a student must earn a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0.

Students must meet Heidelberg’s SAP standards to be eligible for financial aid funds for their next term of enrollment. In order to regain eligibility the student must meet the stated quantitative and qualitative requirements. Students have two options to regain eligibility:

1. Successfully complete coursework that improves Heidelberg cumulative gpa and/or completion rate to meet the required standards, or
2. Appeal to the Office of Financial Aid SAP committee for reconsideration based upon extenuating circumstances (review right to appeal requirements).

Notification: Students not meeting SAP requirements are notified by letter mailed to their mailing address, as indicated in Banner/OASIS II, in mid to late May after the Financial Aid Office staff has reviewed grades and progress. Students are responsible for keeping that address current or having mail forwarded to them during the summer months. The notification letter will state that the student is not meeting SAP requirements and what the student needs to regain eligibility.

Unless an appeal is granted for extenuating circumstances, a student can regain eligibility only by coming into compliance with the standards of academic progress.

Right to Appeal: Students have the right to appeal any decision of ineligibility to continue to receive financial assistance. Appeals must be made before the next enrollment term after the aid eligibility has been lost.
• The appeal may not be based upon the need for the financial assistance, poor study habits, course overload or the lack of knowledge that financial assistance was in jeopardy.
• An appeal would normally be based upon some unusual situation or condition which prevented the student from passing courses, or which required withdrawal from class. Such circumstances could include documented student illness or injury, family illness or the death of a family member, loss due to natural disaster, victim of crime or abuse or significant breakdown of family relationship.
• Appeals can only be approved by the Financial Aid Appeals Committee and are separate from admission, academic, or athletic decisions. A completed Heidelberg University SAP Appeals Form is required.
• The appeal must include a typed statement explaining the extenuating circumstances, how the circumstances have been addressed, and the student’s college goals. Documentation is also required such as hospital records, death certificate, statement from third party, etc.
• Students’ appeals which are granted are considered to be on Financial Aid Probation. Probation status requires the student to submit an academic plan that outlines how they will meet SAP standards. This plan is developed with the help of the Financial Aid staff and/or an academic advisor. The plan will be reviewed and monitored by the Financial Aid staff.

Please complete Heidelberg University SAP Appeal Form.

The mere passage of time will not ordinarily restore eligibility to a student who has lost eligibility for failure to make satisfactory academic progress.

Students who have been academically dismissed by the University but who are subsequently given permission to re-enroll are not automatically eligible for financial aid funding, SAP requirements must be met. Admission decisions are totally separate from financial aid decisions.