Study Abroad

Heidelberg students studying abroad in Germany or Spain or studying in a Heidelberg University-sponsored off-campus program can be eligible for financial assistance. Financial aid for students planning to study abroad is awarded on the same basis as students studying on campus with the following exceptions:

  1. A budget reflecting current costs and expenses is determined. Tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies and a limited amount for travel expenses is included in the budget.
  2. Need that is normally met with work-study assistance will be met with additional loan assistance when possible.
  3. Additional costs that the student incurs (above on-campus budget expenses) as a result of studying abroad can be met with additional Federal Direct loan, parent loan or educational loan assistance. This additional cost could include transportation, higher living expenses or higher tuition charges.

Any student wishing to participate in a study abroad program as a Heidelberg University student must have successfully completed one academic year at Heidelberg to be eligible for university financial aid funds. Deadline to contact the Financial Aid Office with program acceptance is March 1st for fall semester and September 1st for spring semester.

Study Abroad Scholarship Resources:

  • Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship, administered by the Institute of International Education: Applicants must be recipients of a Federal Pell Grant at the time of application
  • Boren Awards for studying less commonly taught languages (not Spanish or French).  You must agree to work in the federal government for at least one year.  Deadline:  February 4th.