Student Loan FAQ

Do I have to apply for student loans?
You will be sent loan information giving you specific details on applying for student loans. Your financial aid award simply provides you with information on loan eligibility. If you wish to actually receive student loan funds, first-time borrowers must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) at

When will the Federal Direct Loan funds be distributed into my account?
The expected disbursement dates for Direct Loans, Direct PLUS Loans and all private loans that have been processed and approved is 10 days prior to the start of classes. This means that the funds will be on the student account at that time. However, students will need to wait until the first week of school to actually receive any refunds since federal law requires that students officially attend class prior to the actual receipt of Federal Direct Loan funds.

When do I have to pay back my student loans?
You will begin repayment on student loans six months after graduating or leaving school.

What is the difference between a Subsidized Federal Direct Loan and an Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan?
A subsidized loan is need-based and is interest free while you are in college. An unsubsidized loan is not need-based and is not interest free. You must either pay the interest while you are in college or defer it but have the interest accrue.

What is entrance counseling?
The Department of Education requires a college to provide certain information to students who are borrowing through the Federal Direct Loan Program for the first time. The entrance counseling ensures that the student is aware of his or her rights and responsibilities when borrowing a student loan. New borrowers will be instructed to complete an entrance in their aid award.

Do my parents have to apply for a PLUS and if so, how?
Parents may choose to pay costs not covered by financial aid by borrowing under the PLUS program. They will need to "Request a Direct PLUS Loan" at each year and, only First time borrowers, need to "complete Master Promissory Note" as well. 

Where do I sign for my Perkins loan?
Your Perkins loan forms can be printed from our website under documents.

Where can I call for more information?
Heidelberg University Financial Aid Office 419-448-2293; Fax: (419) 448-2296
Federal Student Aid Report Information 1-800-433-3243