Heidelberg University Choose Ohio First Scholarships are multi-year renewable scholarships of $5,200 annually. The scholarships are awarded to promising undergraduate who are interested in pursuing a major in environmental science.
As environmental science majors, Choose Ohio First (COF) Scholars will explore relationships between traditional sciences (biology, chemistry, physics and geology) to study human impact on natural systems. Complex issues such as climate change, waste management, resource availability, biodiversity and pollution persist in society, and there is an increasing demand for engineers and managers with a strong foundation in the sciences and well-developed communication skills.
Students will gain valuable preparation for graduate school and employment through the emphasis on
- Hands-on learning – in the field and laboratory
- One-on-one interaction with faculty members who are actively engaged in environmental research and policy-making;
- Real-world training in environmental issues that incorporates official agency methods.
At the upper level, students select a track within the Environmental Science major in Biology, Chemistry, Geology or Water Resources. Under the guidance of a faculty mentor, students choose either to conduct an independent research project or to work as an intern.
In order to be eligible for a COF scholarship, applicants must be high school seniors (or transfer students) admitted to Heidelberg University. They must be willing to participate in a formal interview, if chosen as a finalist, as part of the selection process. During the application process, they must submit the following:
- An application for the COF scholarship;
- Official final high school transcript(s) showing successful completion of the Ohio college-preparatory curriculum and including a GPA of at least 3.50;
- ACT scores of 25 or SAT scores of 1820;
- One letter of recommendation from one college or high school instructor from science, or mathematics;
- A one-page essay stating their future career goals and how participating in this program will impact these goals.
Transfer students must apply by December 1 for the Spring Semester and by August 1 for the Fall Semester. A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.25 (A = 4.0 scale) from another college or university is required in order for the applicant to be eligible for a COF scholarship. Transfer students must also complete the COF scholarship application.
COF Scholars will be required to
- Maintain a full-time student enrollment status at Heidelberg University
- Make continued progress towards achieving a degree in environmental science
- Participate in advising and events for COF Scholars
- Maintain at least 3.25 cumulative GPA
- Participate in designated "learning-by-doing" experiences (internships, co-ops, service learning/civic engagement, undergraduate research, etc.)
How to Apply
- Apply for undergraduate admission to Heidelberg
- File the FAFSA (Heidelberg’s code is 003048)
- Complete an application for the COF scholarship
- Submit a letter of recommendation from a college or high school instructor in science or mathematics;
- Submit a one-page essay stating your future career goals and how participating in this program will impact these goals.
- Return completed application:
Office of Admission
attn: Lindsay Sooy
310 E. Market St
Tiffin, OH 44883