Academic Credit Pathways

Heidelberg University embraces multiple ways in which students may earn college credit. While not all students may have been degree seeking at a previous institution, most evaluated work is labeled as transfer or as examination credit.

The Registrar of the University evaluates previous undergraduate academic work as a potential source of academic credit at Heidelberg University. Academic credit may be awarded for:

  • Previous work at other accredited colleges and universities approved by the US Department of Education
  • Satisfactory completion of Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations
  • Satisfactory completion of examinations in the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
  • Satisfactory completion of International Baccalaureate (IB) Courses
  • Non-traditional learning opportunities (as evaluated by the American Council on Education)

Transcripts are to be mailed directly to:

Heidelberg University
Office of the Registrar
310 East Market St.
Tiffin, OH 44883
Heidelberg also accepts electronic transcripts from the following services: AARTS, e-Scrip-Safe, National Student Clearinghouse, TranscriptsNetwork and NACES agencies. The school originating the transcript will identify if transcripts are sent via any of these services.

Prior Credit Requirements

Applicants with prior academic work may be admitted to any semester and at any level. The previous credit is determined by the Office of the Registrar. Courses with grades of “C” or better will be considered and/or examination scores approved by the University. Prior academic credit will not affect the Heidelberg cumulative grade point average. At least 60 semester hours that are applied toward a degree must be completed at accredited, four-year institutions. The last 30 credit hours, to earn a degree at Heidelberg, must be taken in residence. Special circumstances may warrant an appeal to this rule.

If the method of coursework attempted is not listed below, applicants are encouraged to submit official transcripts and the work will be assessed on a case by case basis. As a general rule, most programs do not limit the age of a course or examination; however, concepts and skill sets may change over time therefore the director for any program may deny credit in some cases.

Credit for Transfer Work

Heidelberg promotes successful student transfer through articulation agreements. However, college students attending other colleges or universities are eligible to transfer.

For ease of academic credit transfer, Heidelberg has established a Transfer Equivalency System (TES) to assist applicants and students in determining which courses to take and transfer back to Heidelberg, or as an evaluative tool for courses already taken.

Credit for Prior Learning

Credit for prior learning comes from a variety of backgrounds. Applicants having prior knowledge in a content area are encouraged to seek opportunities to earn academic credit. In addition to the resources listed below, work assessed via the American Council on Education (ACE) will be reviewed for potential academic credit. At Heidelberg, most applicants with an ACE transcript are Military servicemembers although several professional organizations have partnered with ACE for professional development courses.

The Academic Policies Committee will review credit for prior learning on a case by case basis when an applicant has earned professional credit from an organization other than those already approved.

Credit for Advanced Placement (AP) (CEEB code: 1292)

Heidelberg University recognizes the value and purpose of certain college-level courses offered to superior students in many secondary schools through the Advanced Placement Program of the College Entrance Examination Board. To be eligible for advanced standing and/or actual college credit, the entering first-year students must have completed a college-level Advanced Placement course in high school and achieved a satisfactory score (3 or better) on the Advanced Placement Test for that subject. For specific equivalencies, see our AP Credit Equivalency Table.

Credit for College Level Examination Program (CLEP) (College Code: 1292)

Heidelberg University awards advanced standing credit for specified Subject Examinations of the College-Level Examination Program. Additional information is available on our CLEP Credit Table.

Credit for International Baccalaureate (IB)

Heidelberg University considers the International Baccalaureate (IB) outstanding for its integrated curriculum and rigor. Students awarded the IB diploma are granted sophomore standing and will have their individual examinations recorded as transfer credit. The individual credits may be applied to the General Education curriculum, major/minor requirements, or an elective up to a total of 30 hours.

Students participating in International Baccalaureate coursework, without earning the diploma, will have coursework evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Additional IB information.