Once you've attended Summer Orientation, there are some steps you can take to get even more prepared for August.
Answers to Common Questions:
Q: When and how do students get the common read book, "The Sunflower; On the Possibilities and Limits of Forgiveness" by Simon Wiesenthal?
A: Students will need to purchase their own books, either online or through the bookstore. Students are not expected to read these during the summer, but they will need to use them in their AIM Hei class.
Q: When will housing assignments be made?
A: The first round of housing assignments will be made July 1. Students who submitted their housing application prior to July 1 will find his/her housing assignment listed in OASIS. Students who applied for housing after July 1 will have their housing assignments emailed to their Heidelberg email in early August. Roommate information and room assignments will be listed in OASIS. Visit the Housing webpage for more information.
- If you plan to have a vehicle on campus, make sure you register for a parking pass before arriving to campus. You can do this by logging onto OASIS and click on “Personal Information.” You may pick it up when you arrive on campus in the Business Office.
- Make sure you add this phone number to your contact list! Campus Security – 419-448-2211. It will give you peace of mind knowing that you will have access to Campus Security 24 hours a day!
- Become familiar with the Academic Calendar for the fall. You don’t want to miss any important dates!
- Put your Mailbox code somewhere safe – wallet, purse, backpack, etc.
- Update your emergency contacts in OASIS!
- Explore the different meal plan options by visiting the Heidelberg University Dining Services website.
- Talk to your family:
- Agree on how you will share information about your academic progress
- Discuss your mutual expectations for staying in touch. How often will you call? How often will you visit?
- Talk about safety and decisions regarding alcohol
- Talk about how you will finance your education. Brush up on how to manage a bank account. Discuss credit cards.
- Organize your health care. If you didn’t submit your health history information and documentation of immunizations, you must do so before you move on campus!
- Make copies of and pack your health insurance and prescription cards.
- Prepare for move-in! View your room assignments on OASIS in July. Contact your roommate! Keep an open dialogue with them over the summer. Cover everything from sleep habits to views about sex and alcohol. These conversations can support a successful roommate relationship.
- Shop online for your textbooks! Heidelberg’s book store will allow you to shop online for your textbooks and other apparel to prepare you for the fall semester.
- Participate in Welcome Week beginning August 21 at 3 pm. It’s time to get the semester started!
- Become familiar with the Heidelberg University Student Code. This will let you know your rights as a student as well as the expectations of the Heidelberg community.
How to Order Your Books
You can order your books online through the Heidelberg Bookstore or in person. Bookstore Hours: Monday thru Friday 8:00 am until 4:30 pm.
The bookstore carries New, Used, and Rental textbooks. All book orders are submitted to the used book company first and then to the publisher. We try to get as many used as possible. All textbook information for the semester is posted on our website as soon as we receive the information from the instructor.
Please note that only books and supplies can be charged to your student account in the Bookstore.
- Always keep your receipt. NO RECEIPT, NO RETURN.
- If you purchase a book from the Bookstore, you have 10 days from the start of class to return it. This includes New and Used & Rental books.
- If you buy a book on the 10th day of class or after, it is not returnable.
- If you purchase a book that is shrink wrapped and you open it, even within the first 10 days, it is not returnable.
- Important: To return New, Used, & Rental books they must be in their original condition of purchase. (No highlighting or other marks in New books or damage to Rental or Used books.)
- The bookstore receives a list of textbooks, prior to the upcoming semester, which are available for rent from our rental company.
- If you rent a book from the bookstore, you must fill out a rental agreement form. You should keep your copy of the form and your receipt. The last day to return rental books for the semester will be posted in the store and on your agreement form.
- If you have a rental book and do not return it to the Bookstore by the deadline in good condition, the balance of the new price of the book minus the rental cost will automatically be charged to your student account as written in the rental agreement.
- Damaged rental books are not returnable.
AIM Hei Common Read:
The common book for all incoming first year students "The Sunflower; On the Possibilities and Limits of Forgiveness" by Simon Wiesenthal. The book is required for all students participating in AIM Hei and will be used in class primarily during the 7th and 8th weeks of the semester. The book will be available in the Heidelberg University bookstore and online.
Questions? Watch an instructional video about Orientation and how to check off items on the checklist.
or contact the Destination: Heidelebrg Team
Campus Center 306