- State your purpose – why are you writing?
- Name the position you are seeking
- Mention source of lead, referral, location of advertisement
- Capture attention
- Highlight related experience, education and activities
- Emphasize accomplishments and relevant skills using specific examples
- Present a direct match between qualifications and the job description requirements
- What skills or attributes do you bring to the position and organization?
- What specific skills / knowledge / achievements make you a good match for the position?
- Use a strong and confident close
- Restate the solid match (your credentials = the position)
- Refer to your enclosed resume
- Request application materials
- State your follow-up plans
- Ask for the interview