Purpose of Alternative Break Trips
- Engage in community service projects for a short, pre-defined period of time.
- Make a tremendous impact in the world through acts of charity, goodwill and justice.
- Provides urban, rural, and international experiences for Heidelberg University students
- Provides a service-learning model for experiencing different cultures and the role of leadership
- Better prepare students to be a socially conscious citizen of the world
Be a Student Leader!
- Applications available now for Student Leader for Alternative Breaks
- Openings for Fall Break ’14, Winter Break ’14, Spring Break ‘15
- Responsibilities include:
- Develop a service project with a site of your choice
- Coordinate host-site, lodging, and transportation
- Reserve space for 11 or 22 volunteers at your choice of service site
- Assist with the recruitment and selection of student participants
- Create a trip itinerary, budgeting, and fundraising for trip
- Schedule weekly meetings with team and chosen advisor
- Train student team leaders in their coordinated positions
- Submit transportation request for Krammes vehicles
- Develop and facilitate daily service learning reflections during trip
- Maintain contact with students, advisors, site, lodging, and HU staff.
- Student Leaders will have a discount on the cost of the trip in return for their efforts to coordinate the trip
- 75% for domestic trips and 50% for trips that require airfare.
Apply to Coordinate a trip: If interested in coordinating an Alternative Break trip, please click here to apply!
2015-2016 Alternative Break Trips
|Nicaragua||Winter Break 2016||Outreach 360--Education Focus|
|Memphis, TN||Winter Break 2016||St. Jude's Chidren's Research Hospital|
|Cuyahoga Valley National Park||Spring Break 2016||National Park Service|
|San Benito, TX||Spring Break 2016||Refugee and Immigration Issues|
|Tiffin, OH||Spring Break 2016||Housing|
|Biloxi, MS||Summer Break 2016||Back Bay Mission--Homelessness and Hunger|
Apply To Be a Member of an Alternative Break Trip in 2016: Click here! Dates and Costs are a part of the Application.
Would you like to read more about service opportunities or civic engagement at Heidelberg University? Click here!