Frequently Asked Questions

What is the role of confidentiality?

Communication between the student and the staff of the Counseling Center is confidential and will not be disclosed without the student's written permission. The law in the State of Ohio provides the following exceptions:

  • If the therapist has knowledge of abuse of a child, elder, or a person with a disability.
  • If the therapist has knowledge of intent to harm himself/herself or others.
  • If the therapist receives a court order to the contrary.
  • If the therapist or graduate student in training is supervised or consults with another clinical or counseling psychologist or mental health counselor within the center.

What services are provided?

Individual Counseling

Staff members can help students explore, understand, and work through problems on a one-to-one basis. Individual personal counseling can help students find alternatives, expand choices and overcome obstacles that interfere with personal development and a sense of well-being. The clarification and resolution of personal problems often facilitate a student's ability to concentrate, increase clarity regarding academic direction and career choice, and stabilize and enhance relationships.

Couples Counseling

Couples counseling can help students learn how to communicate more effectively with a partner resolve conflicts and develop a more mutually satisfying relationship.

Group Counseling

Group counseling is an effective treatment modality for many types of interpersonal concerns. It allows you to share your concerns with other students who have similar issues while receiving support from group members and counselors. You also have the opportunity to learn about alternative ways of looking at personal problems. Lastly, you learn new ways of relating to others.


Outreach programs are a service provided by the Counseling Center to assist in the development of Heidelberg University students. Programs focus on relevant issues that students may face on a daily basis. These issues include stress management, relaxation, eating disorders, time management, relationship building, and interpersonal skills.


We are available to consult with students, faculty and staff, and parents.

Who is eligible to use the Counseling Center services?

A Heidelberg University Main Campus full time undergraduate or graduate student who is currently registered is eligible for services.

Is a spouse, partner or family eligible for services?

A spouse or partner is eligible for services if both are registered main campus students.

How many sessions are students eligible for?

The Counseling Center offers as many sessions as needed to address the specific area of concern which is determined during the initial interview.

Is there a charge for the services?

No. Services for counseling are provided to registered students at no cost.

Will the student's counseling records be a part of his/her academic record?

All counseling records are confidential and are not part of the academic record.

Do some graduate schools, professional board or regulatory agencies request counseling records?

Yes, some graduate schools, professional board or regulatory agencies request counseling records. It is the decision of the student to acknowledge whether s/he has received therapy when asked. However, the Counseling Center can only release information with written permission.

What hours is the Counseling Center open?

Counselors are available by appointment Monday through Thursday, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., and Friday between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m.

How does a student know if she/he needs counseling?

Counseling is appropriate for anyone who is troubled by a specific problem or has a general concern. Students seek out counseling for personal growth, increased self-awareness, depression, anxiety, family and interpersonal issues, as well as for acute problems or crises.