Disability Services

Heidelberg University offers a variety of services and resources to help students succeed and, in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, faculty and staff work closely with students who have documented disabilities requiring accommodation to ensure equal access to the university’s programs, activities, and services.

The Stoner Health & Counseling Center is the university's designated office that maintains disability-related documents, certifies eligibility for services, determines reasonable accommodations, and coordinates services for students with disabilities. Individuals eligible for services include students with physical, psychological and learning disabilities. The primary goal of the Health & Counseling Center staff is to accurately evaluate your current disability documentation, to determine how it might impact your academic career, and to provide equal access to higher education at Heidelberg University.

It is a policy of Heidelberg University to comply with all applicable state and federal laws and regulations related to the accommodation of students with physical disabilities, including Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). These acts prohibit Heidelberg University from discriminating against "otherwise qualified" students with disabilities and require that Heidelberg University provide equal access to educational programs. Students who request an accommodation must have a disability hat "substantially limits a major life activity," such as learning. The requested accommodation must be reasonable and necessary for the student to participate in educational programs fully. The college may also provide a reasonable alternative accommodation that achieves the same or similar effect as the accommodation requested by the student. It is up to the college, not the student to decide which accommodation will be provided. Heidelberg University is also committed to maintaining the integrity of its educational programs and will only make accommodations that will not lower the quality of the education that it offers for all students at Heidelberg University.

It is the responsibility of the student with a disability to inform Heidelberg University and request an accommodation. Students requesting services should complete the written request for accommodation and the Release of Information form and present these documents to the Stoner Health & Counseling Center. Any correspondence regarding the adequacy of the submitted documentation will be sent to the student. It is the student's responsibility to obtain additional information or clarification as requested.

Heidelberg University is not required to seek out students to determine if they have disabilities. Students are also responsible for the cost of medical diagnosis or treatment necessary to show a covered disability.

Please call the Stoner Health & Counseling Center at 419.448.2041 or Disability Services 419-448-2898, with questions about the application process.