AJY Tuition & Fees 2019-20
|Semester Type||Tuition & Fees||Housing Cost||Food & Meals (estimate)||Personals, Incidentals (estimate)||Books/School Supplies (estimate)||Total|
|Full Academic Year
(Sep. - July)
(Sep. - Dec.)
|Full Fall Semester
(Sep. - Feb.)
(March - July)
Program Fee includes:
- Airport transfer from Frankfurt to Heidelberg upon your arrival (AJY staff will meet you at the airport)
- Pre-semester course (includes orientation, intensive language instruction, inter-cultural encounters (places, organizations, people)
- Universität Heidelberg tuition and fees (includes student services, monthly radio & tv license fees for dorm rooms)
- AJY Study Center facilities ( includes Wi-Fi, computer room with free printing, student lounge with tv/DVDs, and small kitchen)
- AJY courses (includes advanced language courses, German Studies courses, academic writing workshops, independent study and research projects such as senior thesis or capstone seminar, tutorials)
- Internship placement (competitive)
- Official transcript of academic credit
- Premium insurance coverage (includes comprehensive German health Insurance, liability insurance, medical evacuation/repatriation, and counseling)
- Residency permit
- Public transportation pass for Heidelberg and large surrounding area
- German Rail Pass for use during Fall or Spring break (Interrail Pass for second semester Full Year students)
- AJY study trips and excursions
- Culture coupons (may be used toward concerts, museums, sporting events)
- Some meals included (arrival, departure, Thanksgiving dinner)
- 24/7 on-site support throughout the entire length of the program (Resident Director and staff)
Students make their own flight arrangements and arrive on the day the AJY program begins (see academic calendar). The nearest airport is Frankfurt International Airport. Students will be met by AJY staff at the airport on the day of arrival. AJY makes arrangements for a shuttle service to Heidelberg for all students arriving at Frankfurt International airport on the official day of arrival. The program will provide all program participants with detailed arrival information. Check your flight search engine of choice to get a sense of what your flight might cost.
Please contact Barb Gabel at 419-448-2183 or via email@example.com to discuss any tuition related matters.
A non-refundable fee of $25 is due with your program application. A non-refundable confirmation fee of $250, due upon acceptance to the program, confirms your participation. These two fees may be waived for colleges and universities that have a formal affiliation agreement with Heidelberg University. Contact your school’s study abroad advisor to determine whether the waiver applies to you.
Tuition and Housing Costs payable to: Heidelberg University
You or the party you identified in the billing information on your application form will receive an e-bill from Heidelberg University at the beginning of each semester of your stay. Note that full year students are charged in two separate billings.
Payment via check through mail: Please make checks payable to: Heidelberg University and mail to: Barb Gabel, Business Office, 310 E. Market St., Tiffin, Ohio 44883.
Payment via check online: Heidelberg University has an online payment system for bank-to-bank transfer payments (Automated Clearing House system, ACH). There is no charge for this system. You can only access the system through your OASIS account*.
Payment via credit card: Credit card payments can be made online through your OASIS account*. There is a 2.85% service fee charged to all credit card payments. Discover, MasterCard, and American Express are accepted (not Visa).
* To make payments through your OASIS account you will need your Heidelberg University ID number and your OASIS password.
- Log in to OASIS
- Click Student Services
- Click Student Records
- Click on TouchNet Online Payments
Payment due dates
- Full year students, first semester
- Fall students
- Extended fall students
- Full year students, second semester
- Spring semester students
AJY PROGRAM FEE ADJUSTMENT
No charge will be made to students who withdraw from the program before August 1 for Fall Semester/Full year students or February 1 for Spring Semester students.
Program Cancelation and Changes
Heidelberg University reserves the right to cancel, make changes to or otherwise alter the program and/or program itinerary at any time as may required due to unforeseen circumstances such as natural disasters, events impacting student security, changed conditions, or because of the University’s determination that such cancellation, changes, or alterations are in the best interest of the program or its participants. Heidelberg University is not responsible for changes, alterations, or cancellation of program by the host institution in Germany. Heidelberg University shall have no liability to any participants, their parents, or any other third party for the cancellation of the program or any changes or alterations to the program or its itinerary.
Financial Aid Resources and Scholarships
If you currently receive financial aid through your school, check with your Financial Aid Office to see whether it can be applied toward your direct program costs. Federal and state grants, as well as federal loans, may also be applied. Many schools have affiliation or consortium agreements with Heidelberg University that allow your financial aid to transfer over. Check with your financial aid office to see whether such agreements are in place at your school. No financial aid is offered through the AJY program. Any questions related to applicability of financial aid, scholarships, or grants may be directed to:
Beth Kagy, Director of Financial Aid
310 E. Market Street
Tiffin, Ohio 44883
Many scholarships are available to students wishing to study abroad based on specific criteria such as language and destination.
- Pell Grants should consider applying for a Gilman Scholarship which provides awards up to $5,000.
- Also consider approaching organizations that encourage and support study abroad in general (e.g. Rotary International), or local German-American clubs/businesses in your hometown.
For additional scholarship sources consult: http://www.studyabroad.com/scholarships.aspx.
Every semester, AJY offers a very limited number of paid, part-time student positions for office-related work. In addition, students may also apply for the paid AJY Social Media Expert position(s).
AJY students receive a residency permit that will allow them to work up to 90 days or 180 half days per calendar year while in Heidelberg. AJY staff can help you identify and apply to part-time jobs such as tutoring, restaurant service, and similar typical student work.
To get a better sense of the types of jobs typically available to students during the semester, please go consult the university student job center: http://www.studentenwerk.uni-heidelberg.de/online_jobboerse