Heidelberg University partners with UThink to offer classes for online Reading Endorsement and TESOL Endorsement. UThink delivers high quality training and education to teachers and entire school districts online all over the country. Courses are offered online in condensed 8-week sessions, as well as a shorter summer term.
Each endorsement consists of four (4) courses offered in 8-week sessions each semester. These two endorsement programs are offered to teachers holding a valid teaching license, and they permit you to teach reading to all students at any grade level, including Title II reading programs. Anyone may register for the courses as electives or towards licensure renewal, however only licensed teachers who meet the requirements may obtain the endorsement and add it to their license.
All endorsement classes are offered each semester so that students may start the endorsement at any time of the year. Courses are offered in condensed 8-week sessions, as well as a shorter summer term. Students can register for one course each 8-week term. We do not recommend taking more than one course per term due to the work load and required field hours.
Obtain your Reading Endorsement by completing four classes and passing the OAE Reading Subtest I and II. Offered online, powered by UThink©, to teachers who have completed at least 12 hours of reading pre-requisites.
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
Obtain your TESOL Endorsement by completing four classes and passing the OAE English to Speakers of Other Languages (1021) test. The courses prepare educators to teach TESOL to pre-kindergarten through grade 12 students. Coursework also prepares educators to meet state and professional standards. Courses are offered online, powered by UThink©, to teachers holding a valid teaching license.
Admission and Registration Deadlines
Your first step is to apply and submit official transcript and teaching license.
Spring 2019 Term 2
March 12 - April 30
- Registration for classes closes March 7 at 5pm
- Payment is due no later than March 12 by 5pm
- Classes start March 12
Summer 2019 Term
May 20 - July 26
- Registration for Summer classes opens March 18
- Registration for classes closes May 15 at 5pm
- Payment is due no later than May 20 by 5pm
- Classes start May 20
Fall 2019 Term 1
August 26 - October 22
- Registration for Fall classes opens April 1
- Registration for classes closes August 21 at 5pm
- Payment is due no later than August 26 by 5pm
- Classes start August 26
Fall 2019 Term 2
October 23 - December 18
- Registration for classes closes October 17 at 5pm
- Payment is due no later than October 23 by 5pm
- Classes start October 23
Official transcripts must be issued directly to Heidelberg from the granting institution. Applicants for the reading endorsement may need to submit all transcripts that show reading or literacy courses to review the 12-hours of pre-requisite courses, with at least one Bachelor's or Master's transcript being official. Any transfer courses must also be accompanied by an official transcript. If you will not graduate before the admission deadline, we will accept an unofficial copy and a letter from your advisor or Registrar stating that you are on track to graduate. We will still need an official transcript after graduation.
A copy of your Teaching License can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 419-448-2565. If you will not graduate before the admission deadline, we will accept a copy of your licensure application or application status from ODE.
Please note that registration will close after dates listed. After the deadline, students will have to complete a late add form to be approved by the director and processed by the Registrar's Office. This process could take a few days so please register and pay by these deadlines to be able to start classes on time.
* It is preferred to register and pay for all semester courses by this deadline. However, if you MUST wait to pay for Term 2 courses, please also wait to register for the course as well by the Term 2 deadline.
- Enroll in the endorsement courses without completing the Master's degree as a graduate coursework only (non-degree) student for a discount.
- Applicants already holding a Master’s degree may complete the sequence as a graduate coursework only (non-degree) student for a discount.
- Take only the courses needed to renew a license or transfer to another university as a graduate coursework only (non-degree) student.
|Student Type||Endorsement||Tuition Per Credit Hour||Tuition Per Course|
Coursework Only (non-degree) Students
(Completing the endorsement without completing a Master's degree. Students wanting to take some courses without completing the endorsement will be charged $525 per credit hour.)
* Students enrolled in the K-12 Reading or TESOL Endorsements DO NOT receive a refund once they have registered and paid for their courses and classes have begun.
Heidelberg is approved by the Ohio Department of Higher Education and the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements to accept students from all states, except for California. Non-Ohio teachers looking to add an endorsement to licensure should inquire with their state regulating official about coursework meeting state guidelines