The Owen Center for Academic & Career Support is your one stop shop for all your academic needs. They provide the services and resources to help you reach your personal goals while helping you build the skills that will contribute to success throughout your entire career.
No matter your academic background, at some point you'll need help and guidance during college. All Heidelberg University students are welcome to take advantage of:
- Supplemental Instruction: Supplemental Instruction (SI) support promotes student-centered learning through small-group study and review sessions! SI support is provided for high-risk, gateway, and challenging courses at Heidelberg. SI Leaders provide learning assistance and strategies to increase student confidence and academic success.
- Academic Coaching: Academic Coaching is a personalized, one-on-one experience designed to aid students with the “nuts and bolts” of academic success. Academic Coaches assist their fellow Heidelberg students with skills such as academic success planning and goal setting, study skills, and time management.
- Writing Center: At the Writing Center, trained Writing Consultants offer individual writing assistance for all Heidelberg University classes, at all stages of the writing process. The Writing Center mission is to aid students in developing the skills to think and work independently on future writing projects.
It is never too early, or too late, to visit the Owen Center for career assistance. When you're searching for the right major, developing your first professional resume for a full-time job search, or writing your personal statement for graduate school application, the Owen Center can meet with you one-on-one to help you navigate the many academic and career paths available for you to explore. All of our career development services are available to Heidelberg alumni as well. Take advantage of:
- Interview practice
- Resume and cover letter development
- Grad school application assistance
- Career exploration
- Job fair resources
Advising and Mentoring
Academic Advising Specialists
Through Owen Center for Academic and Career Support, you'll be paired with an academic advising specialist your first year on campus. Advising Specialists each work with students in specific majors. They help you understand the relationship between your general education and major requirements, work with you to create a four year educational plan that fits your career and life goals, and are a resource for navigating college processes and paperwork.
- Lindsey Baumgartner: advises majors in Communication, Criminology, English, German, History, Integrated Media, Music, Philosophy, Political Science, Religion, Spanish, and Theatre
- Shavron Kelley: advises majors in Allied Health Professions (AT, OT, PT, PA, Pre-med, etc.), Biochemistry, Biology, Computer Science, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Health Science, Information Technology, Management Information Systems, Mathematics, and Sports Management
- Francesca Rodgers: advises majors in Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, and Education
When you declare your major, usually in your sophomore year, you'll work with a faculty member is you major who will continue to advise you on completing your major and getting you ready for life after Heidelberg. Heidelberg professors love working with students and provide resources, advice, and networking opportunities for you.
The Office of Student Accessibility Services provides students with disabilities and other accessibility needs the services and support they need to achieve equal access in pursuing higher education at Heidelberg University while also serving the wider campus community as a resource in understanding disability, accessibility, and inclusivity.