Arrival and Orientation

Congratulations on your admission to Heidelberg University! We look forward to welcoming you into our Heidelberg family. Allow us to help answer questions as you prepare to embark on a life-changing study abroad experience.

Immigration Information

The United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) is the governmental bureau which regulates and controls the foreign nationals who are studying in the U.S. It is the responsibility of international student to understand the regulations governing their stay. The visa and immigration information is subject to change, please keep yourself up-to-date. 

The following documents need to be kept up-to-date:

  1. Passport: International students’ passports need to be valid while they are studying in the U.S. Six months before a student’s passport expires, the student should begin the renewal process with their home country's consulate or embassy in the United States. Please call the consulate first to inquire as to the specific regulations for renewing a passport from the student's home country.
  2. F-1 I-20 (SEVIS): As international students enter the U.S., they should have their original I-20. On the I-20,there will be an admission number which identifies the international student in the Immigration's computer system.
    J-1 DS-2019 (SEVIS): This is the certificate of eligibility for an international student or visiting professor participating in an exchange program. As the students enter the U.S., they should have the original DS-2019 stamped by the immigration official.
    Both the I-20 or the DS-2019 must be kept with the student’s passport. On the back of this form there is a place for the immigration official to sign. This can be used to re-enter the U.S. through the duration of the year. Never leave the U.S. unless your original I-20 or DS-2019 is signed by a Designated School Official (DSO) or a Responsible Officer (RO) at Heidelberg University.
  3. I-94: Upon admission, the U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) will provide an admission stamp (I-94) in the passport. The stamp will note the date of admission, class of admission (visa type), and a date or “D/S” which indicates how long a student is authorized to stay in the U.S. “D/S” stands for Duration of Status. Students arriving on F-1/J-1 visas are generally admitted for Duration of Status. This means that a student or exchange visitor is admitted into the U.S. for as long as the person is still doing the activity for which the visa was issued, rather than being admitted until a specific departure date. If your stamp does not have "D/S," please notify the Director of International Affairs & Studies at Heidelberg University.
  4. Visa: International Students cannot renew or enter the U.S. with an expired visa. If they return to their home country, they must obtain a new I-20 or DS2019.

Visa Information

  • Do not enter the US on a visitor/tourist visa (B-2) unless it is designated “Prospective Student” by the Consular Officer.
  • The U.S. Immigration Service rarely authorizes a change in visa status from a B-2 to an F-1 or J-1 visa.

SEVIS Fee Requirements

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (D.H.S.) requires F-1 and J-1 visa applicants to pay a one-time fee to supplement the administration and maintenance costs of the Student and Exchange Information System (SEVIS). The fee for F-1 students is $350 and for J-1 students $220. This SEVIS fee is required of all foreign nationals who come to the U.S. for the purpose of pursuing a full course of study in institutions such as colleges, universities, and language training programs.

Student VISA

Heidelberg will issue the INS I-20 form after a student is admitted and a $250 enrollment fee is paid (Please note that graduate students do not pay an enrollment fee). To obtain a student VISA, the I-20 and a copy of your SEVIS receipt verifying payment should be taken to the American Embassy or Consulate in your area.

Schedule an appointment for a visa interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate as soon as you receive your I-20 or DS-2019. The embassies and consulates often have long wait times. If you have not received your Visa by July 15 for fall semester or December 15 for spring semester, your I-20 will be deferred and your application will be withdrawn.

Tuition Payment

For your own safety, and to avoid traveling with a large amount of cash, please pay your tuition for your first semester prior to departure. Students may pay using one of the following methods:

  • Paying with U.S. funds by check by mail: Please make checks payable to: Heidelberg University and mail to: Barb Gabel, Business Office, 310 E. Market Street, Tiffin, Ohio 44883.
  • Paying by check online: Heidelberg University has an online payment system for bank-to-bank transfer payments. There is no charge for this system. You can only access the system through your OASIS account*
  • Paying by credit card: Credit card payments can be made online by going to your OASIS account*. There is a 2.75% service fee charged to all credit card payments. Accepted credit cards: Discover, MasterCard, American Express and Visa.
  • International Bank Wiring: Payments can be wired electronically directly to our bank account. Contact the Business Office at 419-448-2000 or for information.

*You will need your Heidelberg University ID number and your OASIS password. Once you are logged into OASIS, click Student Services - Student Records - TouchNet Online Payments.

Health Documents

Please complete the health documents at this link prior to departure. All health forms must be submitted by August 1 for fall semester, January 1 for spring semester and April 1 for graduate summer semester.

International Student Handbook

The International Student Handbook will help answer questions you may have about Heidelberg University. A hard copy is mailed with your I-20 and acceptance packet. 


International Admission

Rachel Crooks, Director:

International Affairs and Studies

Julie Arnold, Director:

Upcoming Events

Recent News at Heidelberg

More Campus News