Heidelberg University seeks a dynamic individual to fill the immediate need for an Assistant Professor of Biology (Anatomy and Physiology). This position is in the School of Natural Sciences and Allied Health Sciences, one of the four schools recently implemented within the new organizational structure of Academic Affairs. Heidelberg University offers a strong liberal arts curriculum and professional education programs with the mission of personal, intellectual, and professional development, leading to a life of purpose with distinction.
The Assistant Professor of Biology (Anatomy and Physiology) provides instruction and advising to undergraduate students. This faculty appointment includes a full-time teaching load in addition to office hours, advising, committee work, research and opportunities for continued professional development. This is a three-year position beginning August 2018 with the possibility of multiple year extensions. The Assistant Professor of Biology (Anatomy and Physiology) reports directly to the Chair of the Biology and Environmental Science Department. The department houses both a cadaver anatomy laboratory and the Longaker Animal Laboratory.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience, qualifications and abilities, including:
- Ph.D. in Physiology, Anatomy, or related field with two years of college-level teaching (lecture and laboratory) experience including experience teaching courses in anatomy, physiology, and general biology. A preference will be given to candidates with a documented background in physiology and experience conducting live animal laboratories and cadaver prosection.
- Successful experience supervising student research projects and advising.
- Demonstrated analytical and strategic thinking abilities.
- Demonstrated strong commitment to student centered active learning and student engagement activities.
- Willingness to participate and engage in responsibilities, campus efforts and activities during the day, evenings, and /or weekends at both on-campus and off-campus in order to be part of a community that supports education excellence and student success.
- Demonstrated experience, knowledge and appreciation for a liberal arts tradition.
- Commitment and a demonstrated record of academic excellence with professional and personal integrity.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication and problem- solving skills.
- A demonstrated work ethic that promotes teamwork, enhances creativity and motivation, and builds consensus in a high-energy and high-task environment.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
In addition, the ideal candidate will model Heidelberg University’s core values of integrity, honesty, humility, transparency, respectfulness, diversity, caring, loyalty, and accountability in all work.
Candidates should upload a cover letter, curriculum vitae, professional references, transcripts, statement of teaching philosophy, and statement of research interests. Official transcripts will be required of the finalist candidate.
How to Apply
For consideration, complete the online application.
Expected Closing Date
Review of candidates will begin October 1, 2017 and will continue until the position has been filled.
Heidelberg University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply for all postings.