Heidelberg University, located in Tiffin, Ohio, is a dynamic individual to fill the position of Assistant Professor of German and Spanish. This is a two-year non-tenure track position beginning August 2020. Heidelberg University offers a strong liberal arts curriculum and professional education programs with the mission of personal, intellectual, and professional development, leading to a life of purpose with distinction. This is a two-year non-tenure track position beginning August 2020, with the possibility of renewal based on institutional need.
The Assistant Professor of German and Spanish provides instruction and advising to undergraduate students. This faculty appointment includes a full-time teaching load in addition to office hours, advising, service, research, and opportunities for continued professional development. The Assistant Professor of German and Spanish will also assist with and/or lead curriculum and program development as well as promotion and recruitment efforts for the Department and related study-abroad opportunities, primarily for The American Junior Year (AJY) at the University of Heidelberg in Germany. The Assistant Professor of German and Spanish reports directly to the Chair of the Department of Languages, in the Division of Humanities, Education, and the Arts.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience, qualifications, and abilities, including:
- Graduate degree in relevant field from accredited institution; PhD or ABD in Modern Languages preferred.
- Two years of college level teaching experience in German and Spanish.
- Strong commitment to student-centered active learning and student engagement activities.
- Experience with curriculum development.
To successfully integrate into Heidelberg’s active and engaged teaching faculty, we prefer candidates that are able to show evidence of:
- Successful experience supervising student research projects and advising.
- Analytical and strategic thinking abilities.
- Willingness to participate and engage in responsibilities, campus efforts, and activities during the day, evenings, and/or weekends at both on-campus and off-campus in order to be part of a community that supports education excellence and student success.
- Experience, knowledge, and appreciation for a liberal arts tradition.
- Commitment and a demonstrated record of academic excellence with professional and personal integrity.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication and problem-solving skills.
- A work ethic that promotes teamwork, enhances creativity and motivation, and builds consensus in a high-energy and high-task environment.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
In addition, the ideal candidate will model Heidelberg University’s core values of integrity, honesty, humility, transparency, respectfulness, diversity, caring, loyalty, and accountability in all work, in keeping with the institution’s mission, philosophy, and values.
Candidates should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, list of professional references, transcripts, statement of teaching philosophy (including evidence of student-centered teaching), and a statement of research interests (including potential for involvement of undergraduate students).
Official transcripts will be required of the finalist.
How to Apply
For consideration, complete the online application.
Expected Closing Date
Review of candidates will begin immediately and will continue until the position has been filled.
Heidelberg University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply for all postings.