You became a nurse because healing is your calling. You’re ready for the next step because you know you can make a bigger impact. Heidelberg University's online RN-BSN program allows you to become the nurse leader you know you can be in as little as one year.
The RN-BSN Completion pathway provides the opportunity for licensed nurses to obtain a BSN in a friendly and flexible online environment with convenient clinical arrangements. It is designed to meet the needs of adult students who have work and perhaps family commitments. The program is project-based to encourage meaningful learning and immediate application of new knowledge.
You will complete eight online baccalaureate nursing courses via Heidelberg faculty; two of which include a clinical component. Courses will engage you through online activities that include, but are not limited to, in-depth discussions, intraprofessional and interprofessional collaboration, pandemics and global health, and correspondence with local and national lawmakers to influence change that affects healthcare and the profession.
• Up to 90 credit hours may be transferred to apply toward the BSN degree.
• Thirty (30) residency credits must be earned at Heidelberg University.
• Students will receive 27 credits for previous nursing courses acquired in their prelicensure education. These credits are held in escrow until the BSN nursing courses are completed.
• Students must reach 120 credit hours via transfer credit, escrow, and Heidelberg courses to graduate.
• Unencumbered Registered Nurse Licensure
• College Composition
• Statistics and/or algebra
• Bio 121 and 122 ( A & P) with labs
Deferred tuition payment is available if the students receive Employer Tuition Assistance.
Prerequisites for Nursing Courses
(may be taken at Heidelberg or transferred for credit)
• Chemistry - 2 courses, with lab (if less than 2 years of licensed nursing practice)
• Psychology: General, Developmental or Lifespan
General Education Requirements
Students need an additional must earn 32 credits hours of Humanities/Fine Arts:
• 6 general education credit hours must be earned at the 300/400 Level in residence
Post-Licensure Nursing Courses Online
We offer rolling admissions: Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. To complete the nursing courses within one year, the following schedule is suggested:
Two 7.5-week intensive sessions per semester
Two courses per session
• NRS 400 – Theoretical Foundation of Nursing
• NRS 410 – Legal & Ethical Issues in Nursing
• NRS 420 – Healthcare Technology & Informatics
• NRS 430 – Research & Evidence Applications (Capstone)
• NRS 440 – Communication, Population, & Global Health*
• NRS 450 – Interprofessional Roles in Global Health
• NRS 460 – Health Policy & Advocacy
• NRS 470 – Leading & Managing Healthcare Teams*
* = clinical course
Post-licensure nursing students are exempt from the HYPE Career Ready Program, but are welcome to participate in speaker events.
As a member of two campus communities, you will have the opportunity to participate in campus activities and student services, as well as access resources from both schools of higher education. You can even live in Heidelberg residence halls while completing courses at Terra. You can join Heidelberg college student organizations as well as professional nursing organizations such as:
• State Nurses Association
• National Student Nurse Association
• Program Advisory Council