The Director of Library Services is an innovative leader who designs, manages, and directs the operations, materials, programs, services, and personnel in Beeghly Library. Reporting to the Executive Director of the Owen Center for Teaching and Learning, the Director of Library Services assesses current trends in academic libraries and aligns Heidelberg University's Beeghly Library to those current trends whenever possible. The Director of Library Services promotes Beeghly Library services to all members of the campus and community, and collaborates with Owen Center staff to provide wrap-around academic support services that promote student success.
The Director of Beeghly Library reports to the Executive Director of the Owen Center for Teaching and Learning.
The Director of Beeghly Library supervises all Library staff, including the Research Librarian, Cataloging/Acquisitions Supervisor, Circulation Intern, and all student workers.
- Provides strategic leadership for Beeghly Library, including developing, updating, and monitoring the Beeghly Library strategic plan.
- Oversees and directs the Library’s operations including public services, technology, administration, and facilities management (in conjunction with Krammes personnel).
- Oversees and approves purchases and the overall Library budget.
- Oversees Information Literacy and Library Instruction programs and advocates for said programs within the Heidelberg curriculum.
- Serves as an ex-officio member of the Friends of Beeghly Library.
- Serves as a member of the Ohio Private Academic Libraries (OPAL) Director’s Council.
- Represents Beeghly Library at OPAL and OhioLINK meetings and in decision-making processes.
- Serves on OPAL and/or OhioLINK committees as appropriate.
- Participates in Faculty governance by attending and voting on Faculty issues.
- Contributes to the campus community through participation on various campus organizations and committees, some assigned or appointed.
- Manages the development and implementation of Library goals, objectives, priorities, policies, and procedures.
- Collaborates with the other functional areas of the Owen Center for Teaching and Learning, as well as the Director of Integrated Studies General Education & the Honors Program, to plan and execute programming and services to support student academic success.
- Supervises the University Archives, located within Beeghly Library.
- Works with the Advancement Office regarding gifts and donor relations.
- Develops and schedules equipment purchases and replacements.
- Establishes appropriate service levels and allocates resources, including staffing.
- Hires, trains, supervises, and monitors the performance of assigned personnel.
- Oversees the maintenance of the Library’s collection in accordance with weeding and collection development policies.
- Responds to inquiries involving library-related matters; negotiates and resolves complex, sensitive, and/or controversial issues and complaints.
- Directs, attends, and participates in a variety of meetings, workshops, seminars, and conferences.
- Stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of library management and academic libraries in general; implements those trends and innovations as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science.
- Three years’ experience working in an academic library.
- Five years’ experience as an Assistant Director, or comparable position, in an academic library.
- Prior supervisory experience.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to perform duties with a positive work ethic.
- Ability to work both independently as well as cooperatively in a team setting.
- Exceptional self-motivation, integrity, and creativity.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and balance competing priorities.
- Ability to interact professionally and effectively with staff and all offices across campus to deliver high quality customer service.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED: Knowledge of operation and use of various office equipment including, but not limited to:
- Microsoft Office suite
- Social media (for promotion and recruitment purposes)
For consideration, complete the online application.